Subscribe to Random Encounters

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Posts

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Comments Add to Technorati Favorites

What does subscribe mean?

Saturday, December 23, 2006

Paper and Scrapbooking

I really like to scrapbook. I really like the stickers, embellishments, ribbons, brads, eyelets, and all the fun things to add to a page to make it cute and pop out! The problem is the paper. I hate shopping for scrapbook paper. I never know what to choose. If I want to scrapbook a trip there are only so many kinds of paper that reflect traveling (plus I've probably already used those same papers on a previous trips scrapbook) and then what? Can you put random paper in a scrapbook about a trip to South Korea? I decided for that trip I would mostly use white and put our bag tags and other paper things we collected as the background. I just can't decide what paper is appropriate. Does paper really matter? I mean if it is covered with pictures, stickers and other memories why should it matter? I will tell you the easiest scrapbook I've made so far (and continue to make) is for my baby. It is very easy to pick out cute paper. First of all there is a ton a baby themed paper and second of all when that runs out just switch to cute flowers and hearts and anything pink and purple. Plus, I have so many pictures of my daughter you can hardly see the paper anyway.

When I was in college I joined a card club with my sister-in-law as a way for us to bond. Every month we met and we would have a theme. You would have to make 15 cards and then went you went to card club you would pass them out to everyone and everyone else would pass theirs out so you all had every one's card. It was very fun, and all of the cards were so cute! (so cute I can't bring myself to give them away! HA!) Anyway, one of the month's the theme was "Spring has Sprung" I tried to go literal and think of a cute design to use springs, but since I was new to the whole card making scene and not as into to scrapbooking, I didn't have a lot of experience so I switched to the typical route. I bought a card book first of all to help me think of ideas. Once I picked out the card I wanted to make I had a beast of a time with the paper. I couldn't find it in any stores. I found it online but it was OUT OF STOCK of course. I finally found it at the cute scrapbook store at the college and it cost an arm and a leg, but I HAD to have the cutest card! (I was also trying to impress my sister-in-law) Well I think this paper was the beginning of me hating paper. The card was a lot of cute little flowers up against a board fence and the paper was the fence. I'm sure you have seen this paper out there at JoAnn's or Michaels. Anyway after the first five cards this paper was beginning to make me sick (maybe the fact I was pregnant had something to do with it) but luckily I have the best husband in the world and he came to my rescue. I finished those awful cards with about 5 minutes to spare and made it through only throwing up once because of it. I'm sure that was the beginning of my hating paper.

Well anyways, the moral of this story is does paper matter a lot when scrapbooking? And if it does how do you pick out the perfect paper? Does it have to match? What does it have to match? I need some answers people! Please help!

p.s. Sorry for such a long post, this isn't very typical of me. Please send any responses to randomencountersofwe@gmail.com Thanks for the help in advance.


If you like this post consider Subscribing to my full feed

Related Posts

1 Comment:

Winston said...

Have you tried paper.com?

 
ss_blog_claim=8aa537ac7ff0a81d4291cbad07500687