Subscribe to Random Encounters

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Posts

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Comments Add to Technorati Favorites

What does subscribe mean?

Saturday, December 9, 2006

Short vs. Long

I've been contemplating the length of my posts here on Random Encounters of We. As I have been reading a lot of other blogs seeing what people want and getting tips on how to make my blog better, I noticed that most blogs have really looooonng posts. I for one enjoy short posts that get straight to the point and are enjoyable to read, perhaps causing a chuckle every once in a while. Apparently everyone else seems to like long, drawn out posts that go on and on. So what's the consensus folks? Long or short? Does it really matter? What's it to ya?


If you like this post consider Subscribing to my full feed

Related Posts

3 Comments:

smille said...

hi just gave response to your invitation to check your blog. its interesting. And try mine too and leave comments so that i would know people like what i write or not

Danielle said...

I agree with the length of posts. Wordpress has an option to shorten the posts with a link to the full version which looks neater on the screen. I don't know how that can be accomplished at blogger.

Anonymous said...

Hi fellow funny guy!

I had the same dilemma about post lengths but seem to have a happy medium to satisfy the scanners and the readers.

Our blogging software, Rapidweaver, lets us post a summary. This makes the first impression not too over-whelming - and satisfies the scanners who are out for a quick low maintenance laugh or smile.

The "Read more" leads onto the full article which is for the readers and those happy to do a bit of work for their entertainment.

With the full article, I think you need to keep people hungry, but satisfied - a delicate balance. While we don't go for 1000 word essays, neither do we like to short change with the short paragraph that sort of teases you and leaves the reader feeling "keep going, that was pretty good, but give me some more" . I don't think keeping people hungry in that way works.

You could write thousands of words and keep it readable with plenty of headings and easily digestible chunks.

Hope that helps, and thanks for the inspiration about "cracks". A whole load of ideas came floodign out for a blog post.

 
ss_blog_claim=8aa537ac7ff0a81d4291cbad07500687