Subscribe to Random Encounters

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Posts

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Comments Add to Technorati Favorites

What does subscribe mean?

Thursday, February 15, 2007

Me and My Bacteria

I use to think that I ate lunch alone, at my desk, but according to professor Charles Gerba of the University of Arizona I am sharing my lunch with millions of germs and bacteria. To put it bluntly he says " The average office desktop has 400 times more bacteria than the average office toilet seat." I eat my lunch at my desk every day!!!! I could hardly believe what I was reading; so basically if I ate my lunch off a toilet seat I would be more bacteria free than eating it off my desk. On the bright side, luckily I am a man because "women have three to four times the number of bacteria in, on and around their desks, phones, computers, keyboards, drawers and personal items as men do." The reason for this is women have more places for bacteria to hide; knickknacks, cosmetics, hand lotions and food, all things found in and around a woman's desk. Sometimes I will bring licorice to work to eat throughout the day; I will take out a few pieces, eat one and put the others on my desk. I try to keep the others pieces off the paper and files on my desk so I don't have little pieces of candy suck to them, but after reading this article none of my food will touch my desk, ever.
Professor Gerba offers this advise to combat this big bacteria blight, "using a hand sanitizer and using a disinfectant on office surfaces helps, with 25 percent fewer bacteria found on surfaces that were regularly disinfected. Once-a-day use should be sufficient. 'You don't have to go crazy with it, but with the key areas, desktops, phones and keyboards probably need to be disinfected once in a while.'" Needless to say I am bringing a hand sanitizer and disinfectant to work with me tomorrow.

Technorati Technorati tags: , ,



If you like this post consider Subscribing to my full feed

Related Posts

0 Comments:

 
ss_blog_claim=8aa537ac7ff0a81d4291cbad07500687