Subscribe to Random Encounters

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Posts

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Comments Add to Technorati Favorites

What does subscribe mean?

Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Goldilocks and the Three YEARS

We just got some new books for our daughter and we read some of the new ones to her before she went to bed last night. One of the books was Goldilocks and the Three Bears; I grew up hearing this story all the time but tonight I noticed an interesting underlying message in the story. Basically the story boils down to a little girl walking into someone else's house, eating someone else's food and using and abusing someone else's furniture. Now the last time I check, I thought doing something like this was called 'breaking and entering', which could possibly result in some jail time considering there was property damage. But I think that most kids will not see the story of Goldilocks and the Three Bears as a story about breaking and entering, but I wonder if this theme is picked up on some sub conscience level. The next time I read this story I might emphasize the ending of the story where the bears are very upset and chase Goldilocks out of the house.
Then I started thinking about all the other fair tales that are read to children as bedtime stories and what kind of underlying messages they could be teaching. The story of Hansel and Gretel is a perfect example of kidnapping. In the story of the Three Little Pigs, the wolf is seriously harassing those little pigs; what they should have done was get a restraining order against him instead or running from house to house, but like a little piece of paper is going to stop the wolf from blowing their house down.
I know that most kids, and most adults for that matter, will never see these fair tales as examples of criminal acts; I just thought this was a funny way to look at these classic fairy tale stories.

Technorati Technorati tags: , and the , , , ,


If you like this post consider Subscribing to my full feed

Related Posts

0 Comments:

 
ss_blog_claim=8aa537ac7ff0a81d4291cbad07500687