Subscribe to Random Encounters

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Posts

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Comments Add to Technorati Favorites

What does subscribe mean?

Sunday, April 15, 2007

Healing Wounds

Have you ever heard or been told that letting your wound get some air is good for it? When I was younger and I would get a cut and put a band aid on it, a couple days later my mom would say to me "why don't you take off the band aid and let your cut get some air. " I used to believe this theory... until I had my skin cancer taken out and received a set of instructions to care for my wound. Would you like to know the truth? Here it is:

A wound will actually heal faster and with a better cosmetic result if it is kept clean and cover with ointment and a fresh bandage. Also instead of using neosporin use polysporin, this will help the wound to heal a more natural color where as neosporin will help it heal red. This is the exact opposite of letting your wound get some air to heal faster. Now I haven't had a wound previous to my skin cancer wound in a while, nor have I ever had one so big, so I don't remember how fast the healing process usually takes. I will say that I think my wound is healing at a not-so-fast pace, but I have had a few difficulties with it. Since this advice of keeping my wound covered and freshly bandaged with medicine on it is coming from my dermatologist I will take that to be a fact. I figure a doctor knows best and if he says the open wound policy is an old wives tale then I believe it. I'll let you know when things really start healing well.

Technorati Technorati tags: , ,


If you like this post consider Subscribing to my full feed

Related Posts

0 Comments:

 
ss_blog_claim=8aa537ac7ff0a81d4291cbad07500687